Thanks to Silicon Valley, we are constantly being told that our electronics are outdated. If you’re wondering how to dispose of those old cellphones, computers and TVs, consider the following information on the importance of E-cycling:
- According to a study by the U.S. Geological Survey, one metric ton of e-waste from computers contains more gold than that recovered from 17 tons of gold ore.
- The EPA estimates that recycling one million computers prevents the release of greenhouse gases equivalent to the annual emissions of over 17,000 cars.
- According to the EPA, 40 percent of lead and 70 percent of other toxics found in landfills – including mercury, cadmium and polybrominated flame retardants – are from electronics.
- E-waste represents 2% of America’s trash in landfills, but it equals 70% of overall toxic waste.
- A large number of what is labeled as “e-waste” is actually not waste at all, but rather whole electronic equipment or parts that are readily marketable for reuse or can be recycled for materials recovery.
So, instead of simply tossing your old gadgets in the trash or allowing them to collect dust in your attic, bring them to Zimmerman TV & VCR Repair so that we can responsibly recycle them for you, usually free of charge! Simply call us ahead of time at (716) 634-1400 to let us know what you’re planning on bringing in so that we can confirm that we’ll take it.